December 5, 2011

R2I

Husband and I have moved back to India for good and it has been more than 2 months since we came back. Back in singaara chennai (dont seem to find that charm of living in chennai anymore). 5yrs of living abroad and coming back to your country, sometimes I kind of feel alienated in my very own land. Traffic and cost of living is really gone beyond limits. Didnt seem to find cost of living this high even during my last India visit. The value of a 500 rupee note is just nothing. If you go to the vegetable market, you end up spending 300Rs for 4 ppl's worth of veggies, which will last for 2 meals. Thats all. This part has been quite shocking to both of us. Normally when we go to the US, you initially tend to convert anything that you buy, from dollar to rupee and gape telling this is so expensive here. Once we returned the other way round is going and we find the US a lot cheaper atleast in terms spending on your food and gas. Anyways after all this grumbling we are back for good and for some reason I really miss my apartment back in US. I miss it because, I so much had control of everything in my life and everything was so organised. That independence is something that I miss here. Especially in India you have lots of ppl to give you free advice and opinion about other people's life and problems. Shabba how do you guys manage in a joint family. It is so hard to deal with the fact that they treat you like a newly wed and keep telling, "you guys dont know anything and dont try to bring your US life style here".   Having them over for 6months in the US was much easier, since we both were working and I didnt had to listen to them everyday and every minute. I am sure some of you might be feeling this gal is too thadi that she cant even adjust with her ILs. Enna vena sollungapa enaala indha joint family business suthama mudiyala. Anyways that was one of the main reason I wanted to blog today, just to vent out my feelings to the blog world and feel light.

5 comments:

Rama Ananth said...

I am surprised you didn't do enough research before you decided to move back. Any way You would have known that the traffic is always in a mess anywhere in India, it has been like this for years and in fact with every passing day it is becoming worse. Then there is pollution, the weather in Madras is awful, one can go on and on.
When you live abroad and make some flying visits to India, you think it is so much fun to live in a country so lively and abundant, only when you move here you feel totally lost. Plus why move with the in laws?
It would take you sometime to get used to living in India, but once you solve the important problems, life can be quite good here.
I hope you are able to overcome all your problems, if you plan to stay here permanently.
Another blogger friend of mine too, had shifted to India around the same time as you, and even she is complaining, but she plans to go back if she doesn't like it.
If I were you, I would have stayed back. India can be very good if only it was not ruled by corrupt politicians everywhere. Seeing the present situation, people who move to India, are forced to move back to wherever they came from.
I had lot of faith in India, but now I am slowly losing my faith in this country. It is really sad.

A guilty conscience said...

i have been to chennai once for my training and i feel like why you chose to relocate there after us........but anyways opinion and preferences of indivisuals are somethig that shouldn't hust you......just be your best and enjoy.

chittu's mom said...

Heyyy!!! Welcome back :) Your return was a surprise to me.

Anyways, I have dropped you an email. Check that out

chittu's mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anubharat said...

Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for all your comments